Content marketing continues to gain popularity among businesses, especially when it comes to new and small ones. According to research by the Content Marketing Institute, 91% of B2B and 86% of B2C marketers plan or already have this tool in their strategies. The main advantage and difference between content marketing and traditional advertising is the lack of intrusiveness. Harmonious integration into the life of Internet users in the format of a blog or media updates evokes, on the contrary, positive emotions.
Like any phenomenon, content marketing has its pros and cons. Let’s take a look at the pros of using content marketing for small and new cannabis businesses.
Content Marketing Benefits
Content marketing is a relatively simple, accessible, and straightforward field of activity. The basic principles are to distribute informative, relevant, and regular content targeted at a specific audience. Content marketing works on two fronts at the same time — generating leads and supporting old customers.
Reputation and community. Content marketing helps grow a loyal community, build a friendly atmosphere around the product, bring it to the top of user opinions, and gain a positive reputation. It is crucial for such a complicated niche as cannabis. Content provides an opportunity to demonstrate expertise and provide new customers with a complete immersion in product details.
Cumulative effect. Regular posts and an organic feed of relevant content increase user engagement with every new post. After that, the material rushes to the Internet and multiplies organically, thanks to reposts.
Anyone can generate content. Conducting contests and sales in social networks among subscribers and employees expands the reach of users automatically without requiring additional costs, and overall engagement strengthens and expands the community.
In addition to attracting new customers, content marketing solves several problems for an existing audience at once: customer support, updates, and feedback.
More than 80% of companies that have launched a content marketing strategy confirm high-quality lead growth. This way, the analysis of the psychological profile of the client also plays a crucial role. The study of their needs and points of contact gives an advantage in creating the right content and clear targeting — to hit the target.
Content marketing is a flexible and cost-effective method to attract customers. You don’t have to invest in large-scale production: with the right strategy and content plan, you can achieve efficiency with almost any budget.
Lead generation is one of the key benefits of content marketing, which today has already firmly established its position as an integral component of any marketing strategy.
How to Promote Complex Products Online Using Content Marketing
To sell some products, it is not enough to place contextual advertising and make a landing page. In some cases, standard advertising tools only work in the last stages of the sales funnel. Before that, you still need to tell as much as possible about the product and its features because most of the audience of complex products is not at the stage of readiness but the stage of comparison and selection.
The perfect situation is when a customer knows about the product or service before the need for it arises. This goal is performed by content marketing for complex products: it communicates with the brand’s audience in its language and unobtrusively prepares potential customers to make the right choice at the right time.
Any complex products can be promoted with the help of content. Everything that needs to be told and explained to the audience falls into this category. In other words, content marketing is essential for the cannabis niche as products and services there are relatively new, and many potential customers need to be educated about them first.
What Content Marketing Does for Brands
As you have already understood, using content marketing is perfect for businesses where the customer needs more time to make a purchase decision. Or they should be educated on the product or service before deciding to order it. With the help of content marketing, you can achieve these goals and increase brand awareness among potential customers. Here are the possibilities of this strategy:
- Increases the number of interaction points with your brand online;
- Allows you to reach a new audience and increase brand awareness;
- Increases brand loyalty and trust, strengthens the status of an expert;
- Attracts additional traffic to the company’s website and improves its quality — visits become more targeted;
- Provides additional link growth and improves behavioral factors;
- Increases sales.
It seems that content marketing consists only of advantages. However, the main disadvantage is the fact that you need to invest money, time, and expertise to develop a working strategy and follow it. It is not simple and requires knowledge to achieve success. A good decision is to address a team of professionals from MjSeo Agency who know exactly how to create a strategy to achieve your goals.
Develop a Content Strategy
This is a route from the point where you are now to the point where you want to come and a description of the tools that will help you go along this path. Your content strategy should include the following points (however, you also need to adjust it to the specific of your business):
- Global goals. You should define what you want from content marketing.
- Target indicators for the year in numbers: site traffic, number of subscribers, leads, etc.
- Define the types of content will publish: text, podcasts, videos, infographics, photos, presentations, webinars, etc.
- Content formats: tutorials/videos, case studies, walkthroughs, podcasts, checklists, etc.
- Create a plan with publication frequency. It should be separate for the website, guest sources, and social networks.
- Content distribution channels: newsletter, blog, targeted resources for guest publications (sites, forums, and communities which your target audience visits), social media profiles.
- Find the professionals who will work on the content.
Draw Up a Content Plan
Select topics that you believe will be interesting or useful to your potential customers and put them in a table. There can be three tabs:
- Planned content. For each material, enter the following information:
- format: White Papers, case study, walkthrough, etc.;
- site for placement (if we are talking about an article for a blog, indicate the section);
- Content calendar. You can transfer here the topics from the first tab that you will work on in the first place.
- Ready-made lead magnets (from here they can be pulled into the content calendar).
Whether it be full-time employees, freelancers, or outsourced editorial staff — it doesn’t matter if you provide the performers with access to the media of expertise. To generate content that will work, they need to understand the features of the service, its strengths and weaknesses, the pains and needs of the target audience.
Content marketing is not a magic button; it takes time and money to be invested in it. But with the right approach, it pays off: you stop spamming, miss out on cold customers, gain a reputation as an expert in your niche, and ensure a constant stream of leads ready for a deal for the sales department. Quality content will generate orders for years even after you stop paid promotion. Think about it.